Main Menu

On JTAGed X360s, DLC uploads, etc

Started by Jockel, June 21, 2010, 06:49:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockel

Could someone dump the DLC and upload it in the Ura Loop section?
Not everyone has live ;<

lam47

That would be illegal. I don't think eoj would approve of that at all. Don't you have the internet? You can get it with just a silver account.

Jockel

Quote from: lam47 on June 21, 2010, 07:27:30 AM
That would be illegal. I don't think eoj would approve of that at all. Don't you have the internet? You can get it with just a silver account.
problem is, my box is JTAG-ed for region freeness and it can't go online cause it's hacked.

lam47

I thought they only banned you for playing copied games? I don't know what jaytagging is though I have heard the term.  It's still illegal. Is there not a torrent or newsgroup with it on?

cstarflare

There's a lot of stuff in Ura Loop that's illegal. Whether or not EOJ is comfortable with people crossing the line between game-related media and the games themselves is another question.

brentsg

My take is when you move from superplay and OST stuff to actual game content you're biting the hand..

EOJ

Games (including DLC), superplays, and OSTs still available for sale, and not out of print, shouldn't be posted in UL. OOP stuff is fine though.
I don't really monitor UL to see if what is posted is OOP, but DLC is pretty obvious, so I'd delete those links.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

Jockel

Quote from: lam47 on June 21, 2010, 10:30:03 AM
I thought they only banned you for playing copied games? I don't know what jaytagging is though I have heard the term.  It's still illegal.
JTAG-ing is modifying the dashboard software so you can run homebrew programs or linux on it,
besides it also enables you to play games from all regions (that's the main reason i did it).
Nothing illegal with modifying the hardware you bought. Breaking copyrights is.
The moment MS finds you tinkering with anything, no matter what the purpose is, you'll get banned.
A while back even some people got banned for installing a fan-modification to keep the notorious RRoD console from overheating.
But yeah obviously i'm out of luck, then.
I couldn't even buy it if i wanted to ;<

EOJ has spoken, though ;)

lam47

That's interesting. I'm going to look into it. I have a modded 360 I don't use online. Can this jaytagging be done to a chipped system? I'm not against nodding at all I just see a lot of people banned from forums for requesting things like this.

Jockel

-Dashboard version has to be below 2.0.8xxx
-MFR-date earlier than 16th of June 2009
These are the things that matter.
JTAGing is really worth it, you can have region free games, homebrew apps and emulators (there's mame, too),
disable the restrictions when it comes to Xbox1 games, and you can play games off a USB harddrive.

lam47

I just had a look at how to do it and it seems really really complicated.

Van_Artic

Quote from: lam47 on June 24, 2010, 05:12:46 AM
it's not THAT hard if you're good at soldering  =D

lam47

I am good at soldering. There just seems to be so much to do!

gsl

Quote from: Van_Artic on June 24, 2010, 08:07:37 AM
Quote from: lam47 on June 24, 2010, 05:12:46 AM
it's not THAT hard if you're good at soldering  =D
Which, unfortunately, isn't all that easy.  :(

Jockel

There's loads of people that do it for you for a small fee.
I did it two days after it was discovered, payed 50? to the only dude in my area that could do it.
But these days i saw offers to do it for 30$ on the interwebs.
Just look in your local craigslist or something.

IIRC after you soldered the connection, you gotta:
-dump your NAND several (3-5) times to make sure you pick the correct dump
-extract your keyvault
-download the correct (!) XBR-image for your console*
-patch your keyvault into the XBR-image
-flash the whole patched image over the current dashboard

*afaik there's xenon, zephyr, falcon, jasper16 and jasper512.

If you think you're up to these tasks, you can probably do it yourself.

lam47

lam47

My system won't take it. Never mind.

HVL

Enjoy your live block. Unless you plan on pirating games, I don't think it's really worth it.

emphatic

Quote from: HVL on June 28, 2010, 10:00:59 AM
Enjoy your live block. Unless you plan on pirating games, I don't think it's really worth it.

I'm kinda glad that the J-Tag tech wasn't around for us regular Joes back when I got my J-NTSC system. I always download lots of replays and I would miss that part very much.

lam47

I would never mod my Japanese system. Well other than the heatsink mod that I have already done. Edit (and light mod)
I have a heavily modded UK system I am happy to do anything too though. Its not banned but I keep it off line anyway.

Chi_Ryu

Quote from: HVL on June 28, 2010, 10:00:59 AM

I don't play Live, and I wanted a console to play US, JP and EU games and not have to have multiple consoles - A JTAGged Jasper 360 was the obvious choice for me, so that's what I've now got.  Being able to play the games off hard drive without needing to put the DVD in the drive is a definite plus point.  Doesn't mean that I'm going to use it for piracy.

The inability to get DLC and updates (apart from from illegal sources) is less good, admittedly. :{
"TO THE untrained eye Christian Cooper might have been stamping out a small fire " - The Times, 7th Feb, 2004

emphatic

While that is a cool LED mod, how can you tell if it's RROD or not?  :laugh:

lam47

Neither of them will ever RROD because of what I have done. However the red one would display the RROD as green as I have re routed the traces :)
The one with the pink and purple leds would just show 3 of them lit up in the same colour. You would be able to tell anyway :)

Jockel

I really don't care for live, so i enjoy the benefits.
Oh noes, i can't play my shooters online that are meant for one player anyway.
Only little complaint are the missing replays, but hey there are ways around that.
(Like downloading with a friends box and then transferring / resigning the save file for your profiles)
JTAG is the shit.  :righton:

emphatic

Quote from: Jockel on June 28, 2010, 04:49:45 PM
Only little complaint are the missing replays, but hey there are ways around that.
(Like downloading with a friends box and then transferring / resigning the save file for your profiles)
JTAG is the shit.  :righton:

What if all your shmup aficionados are online ones?

gsl

Quote from: lam47 on June 28, 2010, 12:52:03 PM
However the red one would display the RROD as green as I have re routed the traces :)
GROD is certainly a more sinister-sounding acronym...

Lusche

the hardest thing is to find an xbox with the right mfr date and dashboard version ...
and many uses the jtag just for pirating games ... its sad but everyone should decide themselves ...
at least support cave and buy their games ... i dont care if you pirate other games but dont do this to cave :p

do you have to "crack" the game so that it will be region free or can you just insert the original dvd and play it ?

lam47

Quote from: gsl on June 29, 2010, 05:35:18 AM
Quote from: lam47 on June 28, 2010, 12:52:03 PM
However the red one would display the RROD as green as I have re routed the traces :)
GROD is certainly a more sinister-sounding acronym...

Lol. Wonderful!

Jockel

Quote from: Lusche on July 02, 2010, 06:21:52 AMdo you have to "crack" the game so that it will be region free or can you just insert the original dvd and play it ?
both, depends on the version of XBR.

Lusche

maybe i should get one too ...
too bad my 1st xbox dont have the right dashboard version but the right mfr date (october 2005) < yes still no rrod ... its a miracle :D
my ntsc-j one is a 2010 version :(
and getting a 3rd one might be overkill