Author Topic: A comparison of CV-1000 (SH3) PCBs with their respective ports  (Read 747 times)

Offline EOJ

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (33)
A comparison of CV-1000 (SH3) PCBs with their respective ports
« on: January 04, 2019, 07:12:59 PM »
In this thread I attempt a more detailed and accurate assessment of each port of a CV-1000 (SH3) CAVE game. I only attempt assessments for games that I own (or have owned) both the PCB and port of. Furthermore, I need to have spent a good amount of time comparing the two.

First of all, a disclaimer should be made: NONE of the ports "feel" the same as the PCBs. This is because the slowdown on the ports, while for the most part is well-emulated, does not slow down exactly the same in regard to speed and syncing with inputs. The PCB slowdown feels smoother and more organic in transitions in/out and overall speed, and this is partly because the inputs are tightly in-sync with the slowdown, compared to the ports where they are not. This creates a distinct difference in the "feel" of the respective versions of each game. For games that rely on nearly continuous instances of split second timing for scoring (such as Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu and Mushihimesama Futari God Mode), the different feel of the PCBs becomes more apparent. I, and essentially everyone I have spoken to on the issue, prefer the feel of the original PCBs. However, after one becomes accustomed to the "feel" of the ports similar high scores can be achieved in most (but not all) cases. Another important thing to keep in mind: nearly every port has slowdown missing in some spots and extra slowdown in others. Unfortunately, some ports are horrendous in this regard. This makes some ports easier to score on, others harder, and others about the same (but still fundamentally different from the PCB).

All CV-1000 (SH3) PCBs have two frames of input lag built in. When the ports deviate from this, I will mention it.

Although the main purpose here is to compare the PCBs with the ports, I also discuss and grade the extra features provided in each port.

Alright then, on with the assessments.
My score archive
twitter: cavexstg
XBL gamertag: eojx9999

Offline EOJ

• Administrator
Re: A comparison of CV-1000 (SH3) PCBs with their respective ports
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 07:13:09 PM »
Muchi Muchi Pork X360
SLOWDOWN ACCURACY: D- (Overall about 60% accuracy)
Overall one of the worst Cave ports out there in this regard. There are several important parts that are missing slowdown, including (but not limited to): the formation of ships in the second half of stage 1 (making scoring here more difficult); the stage 1 boss milking (the port feels like it is on fast-forward here); the second half of stage 3; the stage 3 boss milking; the second half of stage 4 (large amounts are missing here, making it much more difficult); several swarms of ships in stage 5 (making scoring more difficult). In addition, several parts with slowdown do not slow down as much as on the PCB. The end result of all these inaccuracies is a situation in which it is essentially impossible to score as optimally as one can on the PCB.
PORT ACCURACY: C-.
There is input lag of at least 1 additional frame compared to the PCB. A large enemy formation in the second half of stage 5 appears in the wrong location, requiring the player to alter their scoring pattern here, as compared to the PCB. They needlessly changed the font for the medal value, and it is better on the PCB (IMO). We are not able to enter our initials for the local scoreboard in this port, and saved scores randomly delete (CAVE never patched this bug).
VISUAL OPTIONS: D.
We are only given the option to have smoothing on or off. No option for scanlines, etc. Screen rotation is poorly handled, and in fact it is not possible to play in proper 'tate' mode on a 16:9 screen unless you change the Xbox 360's output resolution to 480p.
CONTROL OPTIONS: B.
Single inputs for each shot type and bomb are provided, but we are not given the ability to map one button to more than one input.
EXTRAS: D.
A very meager and lackluster selection of wallpapers is provided, and that's about it.

Mushihimesama Xbox 360
SLOWDOWN ACCURACY: B (Overall about 80-85% accuracy)
The important slowdown is mostly there, but there is good deal of slowdown missing in less critical parts. It also does not slow down as much in certain spots (i.e. slowdown speed difference), such as in the first half of stage 3 and the last phase of the stage 4 midboss. Bullet speed in Original mode feels a bit faster in many parts.
PORT ACCURACY: B+.
There are no known discrepancies in enemy placement or bullet patterns. However, the font for the score as well as for the +value has changed. I really dislike such needless changes, especially for the +value (chain value) font, which looks a lot better on the original PCB in my opinion; it is a larger, rounder font. Furthermore, there is no option to play with the original graphics, rather we can only play with hi res sprites over low res backgrounds. Scores save without issue and you can enter your initials in the local scoreboard, just like on the PCB.
VISUAL OPTIONS: B.
We are only given the option to have smoothing on or off. No option for scanlines, etc. Screen rotation and size adjustment are handled well, however.
CONTROL OPTIONS: A-.
Overall very good, with single adjustable rapid fire buttons for both shot and autoshot. The inability to create multiple rapid fire buttons (e.g. more than one rapid-shot at different speeds) is a disappointment.
EXTRAS: B.
A good selection of wallpapers is included, as are side gadgets for the display of extra scoring info, etc. A gallery of artwork is missing, but would have been nice, as would a music jukebox and scans of the arcade artwork.

Mushihimesama Futari Black Label Xbox 360
SLOWDOWN ACCURACY: C (Overall about 75% accuracy)
Unfortunately this is slightly less accurate than the 1.5 port. There is a large amount of extra slowdown added in the second half of stage 3, and in general A-Shot slows down more and more often in the port. In God mode, we find the following differences, in addition to a general difference in slowdown speed: added slowdown right before the stage 1 boss; slowdown missing on the large plant enemies in the first half of stage 3; slowdown missing in the first section of stage 4; additional slowdown added on Larsa with Reco's A-Shot (making her difficult last pattern MUCH easier on the port). There is also a very annoying slowdown "stutter" that occurs randomly, particularly in stage 2. This causes the entire screen to freeze for a split second, and is quite jarring.
PORT ACCURACY: A.
There are no known discrepancies in enemy placement or bullet patterns. We can choose between original graphics (Arcade mode) and hi res sprites over low res backgrounds (360 mode). Scores save without issue and you can enter your initials in the local scoreboard, just like on the PCB. M2 added the ability to reduce the PCB's built-in input lag of 2 frames to 1 or even 0 frames (tearing). For those who use this option on a lagless screen, it may make the game easier.
VISUAL OPTIONS: A+.
A wonderful array of visual options are present, including scanlines. It is hard to find any fault here.
Overall very good, with single adjustable rapid fire buttons for both shot and autoshot. The inability to create multiple rapid fire buttons (e.g. more than one rapid-shot at different speeds) is a disappointment.
A good selection of wallpapers is included, as are side gadgets for the display of extra scoring info, etc. A gallery of artwork is missing, but would have been nice, as would a music jukebox and scans of the arcade artwork.

Mushihimesama Futari ver 1.5 Xbox 360
SLOWDOWN ACCURACY: B (Overall about 80-85% accuracy)
The important slowdown is mostly there, but much of the slowdown is slower in the port, and there are several sections of added slowdown, especially in the second half of stage 3, parts of stage 4 and parts of stage 5. Overall this makes the port noticeably easier for both score and survival, compared to the PCB. There is also a very annoying slowdown "stutter" that occurs randomly, particularly in stage 2. This causes the entire screen to freeze for a split second, and is quite jarring.
PORT ACCURACY: A.
There are no known discrepancies in enemy placement or bullet patterns. We can choose between original graphics (Arcade mode) and hi res sprites over low res backgrounds (360 mode). Scores save without issue and you can enter your initials in the local scoreboard, just like on the PCB. M2 added the ability to reduce the PCB's built-in input lag of 2 frames to 1 or even 0 frames (tearing). For those who use this option on a lagless screen, it may make the game easier.
VISUAL OPTIONS: A+.
A wonderful array of visual options are present, including scanlines. It is hard to find any fault here.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 07:43:02 PM by EOJ »
My score archive

Offline EOJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 07:13:16 PM »
Reserved.
My score archive

Offline EOJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 07:13:25 PM »
Reserved.
My score archive

Offline EOJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 05:59:26 PM »
Added Futari 1.5 and BL.
My score archive

Offline fuzzbuddy

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 02:10:17 PM »
Nice thread EOJ!

Offline EOJ

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 04:11:24 PM »
Thanks! It's overdue for an update. I need to revise the Futari 1.5 data with some new info, and I think I'll add SDOJ and Akai Katana next.
My score archive