Main Menu

Tokyo

Started by adverse, May 06, 2009, 01:27:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adverse

Anybody left in Tokyo?

I know Ast-Kot and Zap left.  GP is still here, anybody else?  Just moved here this month.

zap

Tokyo is great fun, I really regret that I had to leave.

Hope you'll like it there!

gsl

I miss it so much.  Granted, I wasn't in Tokyo proper, but it was just a 45-minute train ride to Ikebukuro.  I'm having a hard time realizing I've been back for close to a year not.

adverse

I think I had a bit more fun in Osaka, especially with shooters. 

I lived about three blocks from Amusement SCOT, the best shooting arcade in the city.  Here in Tokyo there's one arcade near me with DSII and DFK, but both are 100 yen. : /  At least I have alpha station for the way home from work.  That's 50 yen with a good selection of games.

Ast-Kot

I miss Japan, especially Tokyo and my house in kamiitabashi so so so much..... :'(

@gls:I've lived 20 minutes from Ikubekuro on Tobu Tojo Line.... ;)

Now I've done an apply for an 3 months internship in a Japanese Transport company----maybe I can come back in Japan in noveber!!

@Adverse: why did you moved from Osaka?
あの痛みが君の事を守ってくれた、その痛みがいつも君を守っているんだ

gsl

Quote from: Ast-Kot@gsl:I've lived 20 minutes from Ikubekuro on Tobu Tojo Line.... ;)
No kidding?  I was down the same line at Tsurugashima (home of Yuki Enterprise/EXAMU!).

I never really went to Tokyo much for the arcades.  I mean, if I was in the area I'd stop into Hey! or more frequently, Mikado (just because that place was so awesome), but there was a really amazing arcade just a few stops down from my university in Kawagoe where I did most of my playing.  They rotated some of their shooter stock occasionally, but I could always count on Mushi Futari 1.5 (and after its release, Black Label), Deathsmiles, Espgaluda II, Ketsui, DDP DOJ BL, Battle Garegga, and Batrider.  Others came and went, like Progear, Muchi Muchi Pork, Ikaruga, various installments in the Shikigami series, and Triggerheart Exelica.  They even had a Dolphin Blue cab, which really surprised me, as I just assumed the game didn't really exist after failing to find it anywhere in Tokyo.  Even better, new releases were 100 yen, but after about a month or so all the shooters dropper to just 50 yen.

What was really fun was discovering some hole-in place with a redeeming feature, like the arcade down the back alley in Kawagoe that was mainly some giant horse racing sim and various UFO catcher and purikura machines but also happened to have the only Guwange cab in town, or the place I found staying with a friend's family during winter break that only had three shooters--Mushi Futari BL, Deathsmiles, and Ketsui--all at 50 yen.

Ast-Kot

I lived in Kamiitabashi from march to october 2008 for my study in Keio University....My house was 1h from Mita campus but the month's rents where cheap in this part of Tokyo-----

We use the same line to Ike...... :righton:

In Ike there is a good game center called Gigo (maybe a sega GC) with a lot of good staff and place of a lot o event concernig the Stg scene :righton:
あの痛みが君の事を守ってくれた、その痛みがいつも君を守っているんだ

powerfuran

After Kot left Tokyo, I filled his room in Kami Itabashi ;)
Had a great time there.

QuoteKawagoe

Was that arcade called MAGMAX? I just can't remember if the place was Kawagoe or Kawagoeshi.
Nice quality shmupping there.

zap

Heh, I lived in Kami Itabashi too, april 2007 - fall 2008. Nice area, but a little too far from the heart of Tokyo for me.  ;)  There was a game center near the station where I used to play beatmania. They didn't have any shmups, but Don Quixote had Death Smiles and Otomedius I think. Though way too bright lamps inside and noisy pachinko/slot-stuff didn't make it a favorable place to play at.

gsl

Quote from: powerfuranWas that arcade called MAGMAX? I just can't remember if the place was Kawagoe or Kawagoeshi.
Nice quality shmupping there.
Yes!
Well, they originally had two arcades, apparently under the same ownership, MAGMAX and Game Magma.  Game Magma had all the latest stuff, while MAGMAX would have some of the less popular shooters that were still worth checking out (Ikaruga, Mushihimesama, Progear).  At some point in maybe January or February of '08 they had to close the Game Magma location (couldn't read the kanji on the notice) so they moved most of the cabinets and popular titles over to MAGMAX. 

I still check up on their blog every now and then to see what they're up to.  They mentioned a while back about moving to a new location, which when looking at a map seems to coincide with their old location, so I wonder if there was just some renovation that needed to be done with the place.

adverse

Checked out Game in Ebi-sen today.  Great place, really nice sticks and a comfortable atmosphere.  Wish it were non-smoking but eh. 

Location is stupid hard to find though.  Barely any addresses written anywhere, and a board out front that is easily missable.  Definitely a hideaway for elite players.

adverse

So Kaneda and I checked out Good Day 21 today, which is an arcade famous for many world records and supposedly the main stomping grounds of SWY.  

We were pretty surprised to find out that the place is a goddamn dive.  Sun-bleached posters on the outside, and an automatic door that was broken so we had to pull it open to get in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRkc6VrrP7M

Once we got inside, plastic bottles everywhere, random junk stuffed between cabs and...this bucket of used cigs (sorry for the shit camera work).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8m66goBuS4

Breakfast of champions?  

There were also random nendoroids and other toys on cabinets. 

BTW, while we were there some guy started raping Deathsmiles 2, scoring 650 mil, higher than the 440 or so Kaneda saw yesterday at Hey!

Then we went back to Game in Ebi-sen and scrubbed out on Daifukkatsu for a couple hours.  :righton:

Kaneda

I think Good Day 21 is best left to the imagination.

Quote from: adverse on July 18, 2009, 11:41:28 AMBTW, while we were there some guy started raping Deathsmiles 2, scoring 650 mil, higher than the 440 or so Kaneda saw yesterday at Hey!

As impressive as that was, it was all trumped the following day when I went to HEY and caught LEN, a champion player at DS MBL and DFK, completely destroy DS 2, finishing with 4/5 lives and 850 million with Casper. AAA player right there.

adverse

Looks like SIN is on his way to a billion.

http://sinmoon.blog.shinobi.jp/

Kaneda

Anyone been to Daytona III in Saitama? A number of world records have been set there and I hear they also sell homemade superplays, so I'm thinking of heading out there sometime soon.

DEL

Kaneda

I only felt one of them but it scared the shit out of me because it woke me up and I was sleeping in a capsule.

I think this s-house is coming down.

DEL

^Yes it would scare the hell out of me too.  Those were high magnitude :-\.

HVL

Funny how this happened now that Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 started airing recently. :o It's supposed to be a realistic depiction what would happen if a 8.0 earthquake hit Tokyo.

EOJ

I felt the 6.5 one here in Kyoto. It woke me up around 5am, but it wasn't too bad. I have a large 4 bedroom/2 story house here, and it seems to handle quakes well.
My score archive
twitter: @cavexstg
youtube: @cave-stg
Xbox gamertag: eojx9999

dcharlie

I'm still in Tokyo, don't think i'll be going anywhere in a rush.

Adverse, where abouts are you? I know you've hooked up with Jonnyram a few times, are you anywhere near his neck of the woods?

Hive

Good Day looks like the Korean arcades I used to frequent!  :lol:
No women, dank, and cramped.
Hive's "Colorphiles" Blog:  http://colorphiles.blogspot.com/

adverse

Nakano mayne!

We have one good arcade called Plabo.  Previously they had four CAVE shooters but KOF: Sky Stage and some other shit came in, so it's just Futari at the moment.

dcharlie

QuoteNakano mayne!

ah, you aren't too far away!

i'm on the inokashira - there's quite a few arcades, no mindblowingly amazing ones though, still need to venture more into Asagaiya and Koenji though.

GaijinPunch

My first pad was in Meidaimae, on the ass-grabbing Inokashira line.  I did a 3 year stint and finally left the bustling streets of Tomigaya for the somewhat quiter streets of Yoyogi... a whole 10 minute walk away.

dcharlie

QuoteMy first pad was in Meidaimae, on the ass-grabbing Inokashira line.

yeah, the inokashira line is a bit "fruity" - seen quite a few 'incidents' the most disturbing being a mentally disabled kid beating off onto a seated old woman.

Sort of thing you never forget.

Other than that though, quite like the line and the area. Tons of arcades (found my way to asagaya which is a lot better than the directly local area) , handy for shibuya/shinjuku/Kichijoji/Shimo, nakano within easy reach by bus, lots of mom and pop games stores.

Though of course i'd give my right arm to live in yoyogi. The wife used to live there in her youth but for house buying it was just a bit too much of a stretch.

GaijinPunch

Quote from: dcharlie on March 22, 2010, 08:44:27 PM
yeah, the inokashira line is a bit "fruity" - seen quite a few 'incidents' the most disturbing being a mentally disabled kid beating off onto a seated old woman.

Cool -- I've just found my get-out-of-jail-free excuse!

dcharlie

loool, i wonder if this excuse extends to pretending which Cave games people get early?! ;)

... i'm assuming here you'd be the giver rather than the accepter  of the filthy milt present! :O

Tesuman

Hello everyone, [Eight One] here once again.

(Maybe you can merge the actual 81 account with this one for me, EOJ?)

Anyways, I'm here in the Kanto, so hit me up and we'll let ass kick together.

It's good to be back...both here (now that the reg lock is lifted) as well as back in the gamer's paradise itself.

MX7

Quote from: adverse on July 18, 2009, 11:41:28 AM
So Kaneda and I checked out Good Day 21 today, which is an arcade famous for many world records and supposedly the main stomping grounds of SWY.  

We were pretty surprised to find out that the place is a goddamn dive.  Sun-bleached posters on the outside, and an automatic door that was broken so we had to pull it open to get in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRkc6VrrP7M

Once we got inside, plastic bottles everywhere, random junk stuffed between cabs and...this bucket of used cigs (sorry for the shit camera work).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8m66goBuS4

Breakfast of champions?  

There were also random nendoroids and other toys on cabinets. 

BTW, while we were there some guy started raping Deathsmiles 2, scoring 650 mil, higher than the 440 or so Kaneda saw yesterday at Hey!

Then we went back to Game in Ebi-sen and scrubbed out on Daifukkatsu for a couple hours.  :righton:

Are these videos mirrored/hosted elsewhere now? I really want to show them to a friend, but it seems like they've been removed :(