Another Entry level Supergun Thread

Started by Joe T., March 07, 2010, 01:33:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe T.

Howdy,

I recently bought a REALLY old Sigma Supergun (Av-999), just so I'd have a way to play my Progear board without having to rotate my cabinet's monitor.  However, it only has a composite which obviously looks like shit and a Japanese 21 pin RGB cable.  The RGB cable would be the clear choice here if I had a low res monitor that accepted it.  Is buying an XRGB 2 my only alternative in this case to play Progear without it looking like washed out vomit?

Any help would be more than appreciated!

brentsg

An XRGB2 will be great if  you also have an old VGA monitor to make it look proper.

If you try to output to an LCD it will probably still look poor.  Between the 2 and 2+, the 2 is better for a supergun since it has a PCB mode for the video signal.

I haven't played with a 3, but it should be better for an HDTV and the like.

Joe T.

Thanks for the info, Brent.  I appreciate it.

Another dumb question...What about some type of Japanese RGB to US RGB converter?  Does this exist or is the sync different or something?

gsl

Just a suggestion, but you could get a Jrok encoder (latest version has composite, S-Video, and component output) and probably hack that into the Sigma fairly easily.  It's not going to beat that RGB output assuming you can find a TV or monitor that will use it, but the component shouldn't make things look too terrible.

Joe T.

Thanks for the advice.  I actually just ended up selling the supergun.  I only bought it in order to play one game, and in the end just decided it was too much hassle.  In the future I will stop being a wimp and just rotate my cabinet's monitor.  :laugh: